Nuffnang ads

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Gym Culture: Playing By Different Rules.


I knew trouble was on the horizon the moment a friend of mine told me probably about half of the guys at my gym is taking steroids and supplements like fat burners are like their Vitamin C.

When I started going to gym regularly 3 years ago, I’m actually glad somebody told me not to take supplement or fat burner too early on, when you can still lose weight the natural way. But after a while, you do reach a point of your natural limit, and you need to make a decision. Do you want to take it further? I believe that’s an individual choice. My basic science understanding regarding fat burner is, taking fat burners can prevent our ability to burn fat the natural way. Meaning that you’ll eventually become dependent on what you take and that it will lose some of it effectiveness. Our body will quickly become aware of the extra chemicals and so believes it does not need to burn as many itself. Or maybe the product increases our basal metabolic rate but may eventually disrupt our natural thyroid production. Same goes with hormones. Do you rather have extra of the fake testosterone rather than real one? IS IT WORTH IT? You choose.

I bet in any gym there are few ‘awesome’ looking people who stand out instantly among a sea of people with average looking bodies at best.  And that sea of average looking bodies at best people will think, “I need to find out what he/she doing so I can start doing it too and look awesome as he/she does”. Same goes when we look at fitness models, bodybuilders and A-list celebrities. We look at them, see the results they’ve gotten, and our first instinct is to replicate whatever it is they are doing.

Now here comes the part that separates average people with principled people.

It seems like a great idea and we’ve all probably been there before. But in reality, most of this hormones/stimulants/chemicals have different side effects in different people. I mean, its biology! Who can tell what works fine for them will work with our body just as good without the side effects?

What I learned is that, the next time some big guy (or big girl) comes over to give you training advice that is not inline with what you read and teach yourself, be careful. Chances are they are using whatever god knows drugs and chemicals. And if he does, whatever worked for him won’t work for you because you’re playing by very different rules.

And btw, I cannot wait to start training with my pink gloves. hehe. Tetiba kan kuar tajuk? takde kena mengena pun. Sukati i lah. Lol 




 XOXO,
Aisha :)

No comments:

Post a Comment