Nuffnang ads

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Wedding gifts dilemma. Always is, always will be?


As much as I hate being 25, more and more friends are getting married. And being genuinely happy for them, now I have to think for a perfect wedding present to give.

I often get confused by the thought of what to buy for the happy couple. Many countries already adopt gift registry concept where couples can register the gifts they want from a retailer. The list will be updated and items are removed as the items are purchased. The advantages in this concept is that the bride and groom get what they need, we don’t have to think this hard to come up with present which in the end might or might not be useful. Of course, it will come from varying prices so we can choose the present according to our budget. On first come, first serve basis of course.

Unfortunately this concept has not widely accepted here in Malaysia. Maybe in the year 2020. No, I’m not being sarcastic. At all.

I heard Isetan got this service. But not so popular. Don't know why.

What usually happens is that, I always wanted a personalize gift. Something memorable that will make a lasting thoughtful impression. But as the day comes and the level of my confusion supreme, I end buying any ‘object’ at the last minute.

But this time, for two of my important girl friends, I want a unique wedding gift for a change.

For mercy’s sake not one more kettle, toaster or mugs.

I’m dreading this. It is not mandatory you have to bring wedding gifts; it is only for the sake of customs. My dad will flip if he reads this. Customs are his way of life.

No offense for those people who prefer kettle, toaster and mugs.

Money could be a better choice, but again not personalized.
I was googling for ideas and they recommended these:

a)   Bed-and-bath: Towels, soaps, bath item dispensers, bath rugs, Linens, duvets.
b)   Kitchen: Spatulas and other small appliances.
c)   Lingerie: I love this the most! But not sure is it an appropriate gift? Crossing any line?

No? Ok. I’ll keep on thinking
Excuse me
While I choke myself.

2 comments: